Promoting the rights of people with disability, who require a companion, to fair ticketing at events and venues

Applying for a Companion Card

Who is eligible to apply? Applying-for-a-Companion-Card-copy

When applying for a Companion Card you will be assessed against our eligibility criteria. To be eligible you must:

  • be an Australian citizen or resident, and live in NSW
  • have a significant and permanent disability
  • need significant support with your mobility, communication, self-care and planning to get to most venues and take part in most activities in the community
  • not be able to get that support by using aids or other technologies
  • have a lifelong need for this type of support

How do I determine if my need for a carer to access the community is permanent?

Having a permanent need for a carer means:

  • you are unable to access the community independently in most situations
  • your need for a carer in the community is ongoing and not episodic
  • aids and equipment do not replace your need for a carer in the community
  • the type of care you require is more than social support and supervision

How do I apply?

You must fill out a hard-copy (paper) application form, and post it to the NSW Companion Card team at: Companion Card, PO Box 20637, World Square, NSW 2002. (This address is on the application form.)

You can get an application form by:

  • phoning our information line on Freecall 1800 893 044,
  • emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • downloading and printing a form [PDF 284KB]
  • writing a letter requesting a form to: Companion Card, PO Box 20637 World Square, NSW 2002.

Can someone else fill in the application form on my behalf?

Yes, someone else is allowed to complete the form for you, or help you to fill it in. They will then need to put their contact details on the application form. They will find a place on the form to do this.

What supporting information should I send with the application?

You should send any relevant supporting information, such as:

  • contact details of support services (e.g. day programs, respite services)
  • copies of up-to-date reports from health professionals (e.g. a specialist, psychologist, speech therapist, physiotherapist, paediatrician, occupational therapist, registered nurse or social worker)
  • any other information that you believe will show that you qualify for a Companion Card

What can I do if my application is declined?

Don't fill out a new application. If you provide new information about your application, NSW Companion Card will consider this information and determine whether to uphold or overturn the original decision. New information should be provided by email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. OR mail to

Companion Card Review
Locked Bag 4028

If you are still refused a card, you can then request a formal review of the decision in writing.

Any new information you provide, with the information obtained in your original application, will be considered in the review process.

You will be notified of the outcome of the review in writing.